Buy the Best Heat Pump Your Budget Allows
Often called a moderate climate homeowner’s best friend, an air-source heat pump takes energy that already exists in the air and moves it into your Roswell home for heat in the winter. In the summer, it takes heat energy in your home and expels it to the outdoors. If you’re shopping around for a new cooling and heating system, find the best heat pump for your home. Here’s some tips to help:
The best heat pump will have a high heating and cooling efficiency rating. There are two efficiency ratings you need to know about:
- Seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) tells the story of how well the system will cool the home. The higher the rating, the more efficient the system. More efficiency heat pumps will rate between 14 and 18 SEER.
- Heating season performance factor (HSPF) shows the system’s ability to heat the home in the cooler seasons. The best heat pumps start at HSPF 8 and top off at HSPF 10.
Of course, higher-rated systems also tend to cost more up front; however, they pay off with lower energy costs over the lifetime of the system. So if you can afford to do so, invest in the highest-rated system that you can.
Heat pump efficiency ratings don’t tell the whole story. You should also investigate the features of the heat pump before you buy.
- A variable-speed blower has the capacity to operate at multiple speeds, blowing air out into the home at low and high speeds, and every speed in between. As a result, the blower operates more efficiently and keeps the home’s temperature more consistent.
- A thermostatic expansion valve offers more efficient use of refrigerant through the coil.
- A two-speed compressor operates similarly to the variable-speed blower. Instead of generating cooling at one stage, high, the two-speed compressor runs at a low stage when the cooling demand is low, and ramps up to high as the load increases.
As with efficiency ratings, the more costly systems will employ these advanced features; however, they pay off in the long run with improved home comfort and lower energy bills.
If you have questions about the best heat pump you can buy for your home, contact Casteel Heating and Cooling today!