The Casteel Amazing Care

Why every home should have a carbon monoxide detector

Why every home should have a carbon monoxide detector

Carbon monoxide is a gas that in small doses is not harmful, but can be deadly in larger amounts. It’s odorless, colorless, tasteless and is often called the “silent killer.” Fortunately, carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive, easy to install and can be lifesaving devices. In fact, they are the only proven way to detect carbon monoxide in a home. How do they work? They detect toxic concentrations of carbon monoxide in the air and then sound an alarm that notifies people that they’re in danger. Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning and should have yearly heating services checkup by Casteel Heating, Cooling, Plumbing, and Electrical.

Call to schedule a service today!

Did you know? 20,000 people end up in the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning yearly.

Where to place carbon monoxide detectors
89% of carbon monoxide poisonings happen inside of a home. That’s a very scary number. That’s why we suggest placing carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home that has fuel burning appliances. Examples of fuel burning appliances include:

  • Gas range
  • Refrigerator
  • Wood-burning fireplace
  • Space heaters
  • Boiler
  • Furnace, hot water heater
  • Generators
  • Cars running in closed garages

Reach out to your Casteel team immediately if your carbon monoxide detector alarm goes off. To make sure you hear an alarm during the night, we recommend that you place it within 10 feet of sleeping areas.

Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased inexpensively online and at most home improvement stores. You can have them hardwired into your home (like a fire detector), plug them into a wall or power them using batteries. These methods are equally effective when you make sure the unit stays in working order. To test an individual detector, simply press the test/retest button to ensure it’s still active.

Where not to place carbon monoxide detectors

Don’t place a carbon monoxide detector next to a furnace or in any other area that is out of earshot to homeowners or renters. It’s also important to place detectors at least five feet from household chemicals because they can cause false alarms. If you are worried about your heating services, immediately call your trusted Casteel team.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure

Many people confuse carbon monoxide exposure with the onset of the flu because the initial symptoms are very similar, including:

  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Irregular breathing
  • Fast heart rate

What to do if a carbon monoxide alarm sounds

If you feel like you’re in danger, immediately tell everyone in your home, take your pets and walk outside for fresh air. Leaving your door and windows open is also a good idea to promote ventilation. Once you’re safely outdoors, call 911 because consequences may quickly turn serious. Once everyone is deemed healthy, it’s extremely important to contact Casteel for an inspection.