Top 6 New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
It's a brand spanking new year with endless possibilities. Not only do you have a fresh start to all of those “Honey Do's” that you were unable to finish in years past, but you also have a starting point for your home's New Year's Resolutions. You know, the list of things that you know should be done but have put on the back burner for reasons unknown. What are the top, must have, New Years Resolutions for this coming year?
- Cut your Energy Costs- It's never too soon to evaluate your homes energy consumption and consider options to reduce your monthly bills. Consider changing to LED light bulbs, high efficiency HVAC Equipment, on demand water heaters and programmable thermostats.
- Maintain your home's mechanical equipment- You wouldn't run your car without ever changing the oil or filters. The same applies to the main systems that keep your home up and running. Make sure to change the air filters regularly in your HVAC system and have seasonal maintenance to keep it running at its prime. Inspect your electrical system for any hazards. Flush your water heater yearly and make sure to rectify any plumbing problems immediately. Pump your septic system regularly.
- Improve your Indoor Air Quality- Don't wait until the pollen is flying to think about your indoor air. There are more allergens than just pollen that can affect your every day such as pet dander, dust, mold spores and even viruses. Controlling your humidity, whether adding or removing it, is also important to your comfort and health. Consider adding HVAC system enhancers to improve your indoor air quality and your comfort.
- Deep Clean- There is no time like the present to get into all the nooks and crannies of your home with a good deep clean. Pull out and dust under appliances, dust tops of kitchen cabinetry, vacuum blinds and window screens. Instead of waiting for the spring to get rid of the cob webs, get down and dirty right after the New Year holiday and mark that deep clean right off of your list!
- DeClutter- Let's face it. It's all to easy to set things aside in the event that you may have a need for them in the future. A clutter free home will help you stay organized and will appear cleaner. Go through your items and apply a 3 tier approach: "must have", "donate," and "throw away." Of course there are always exceptions but sorting your extras into these categories is a great start to organizing your home.
- DIY- Do you find that you put things on your list off while you wait to save money for the project itself? Consider researching DIY options to projects on your "to do" list. While some projects may be a stretch, others may be just within your capabilities and save you the costs of hiring a professional. Remember, when dealing with projects that require modifications to plumbing, electricity or your HVAC equipment, it is always best to consult with the professionals for your safety.
There is no time like the present to set goals for your home in the New Year. Even better, setting goals that will keep you better organized and with more money in your pocket! For any HVAC, Plumbing or Electrical needs, contact Casteel as your one stop for your home's mechanical needs. (770) 766-1657 or schedule online.