New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
As the Peach drops in Atlanta on New Year’s Eve, the hope of starting fresh is on many minds. Resolutions are made, lists are written and a the idea of “getting it right,” is the main goal. While many aim to eat healthier, lose weight, get to the gym, take time for hobbies or save extra money, the one thing that is often overlooked is the home. This year, make time for yourself and make a point not to neglect your home. This New Year’s Resolution list for your home is a “must do” to keep up the maintenance on your home and stay organized for the year ahead.
- Cut the Fat and Decrease Your Energy Spending- While focus may be on reducing calories to lose weight, don’t neglect cutting the extras on your energy usage! Change your light bulbs to LED’s. Replace your ancient thermostat to a programmable or high tech wifi version which will cater your HVAC usage right to your schedule. Replace your old or aging water heater and HVAC system to a higher efficiency model. Take advantage of 0% financing and cut your utility costs by up to 40% with the increased energy efficient models.
- Get Moving or at the Least, Check the Moving Parts of Your Home’s Systems- Make sure to have a fall and spring maintenance performed on your HVAC system. Help prevent breakdowns, increase your energy efficiency and make sure that your system is in tip top shape. Don’t forget to have your electrical system checked for any hazards and for good measure make sure to flush your water heater to help increase the efficiency.
- Clear the Air- Your Indoor Air Quality that is- Spring will be here before you know it and the pollen will be flying again. Last spring you were miserable with the change of season. Itchy eyes, runny nose, and a scratchy throat are not something that you have to deal with every season. This year, make a point to better your indoor air quality.While pollen may be irritating during some seasons, don’t forget the pet dander, microscopic pathogens, bacteria and viruses that can infect your air too. There is not time like the present to clean the closets and clean the air.
- Safety First- It’s all too easy to procrastinate on the mundane tasks that we don’t have an immediate need for. The one thing you can never predict is an emergency, but you can prepare for one. Make sure to change the batteries in your smoke detectors and install or test your carbon monoxide detectors. With the new advanced smoke detectors, you can take the guesswork away from testing your monitoring system. The Nest protect does that for you! Consider upgrading your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to those that provide alerts to your phone, test themselves and are multi functioning.
- Declutter & Organize- While the motivation is fresh, now is the time to go through each room and get rid of all of the unnecessary extras that have piled up over the past year. You know, those magazine articles you wanted to read but never had the time to. The extras that you held on to with good intentions but just couldn’t find the time to follow through with. It happens even to the best of us. If you haven’t used something in the past year, consider donating it. This includes clothes,books, toys, electronics etc… The liberating feeling that comes when you organize and declutter is well worth the time spent going through the excess.
- Drink More Water –Clean Water- Water is something that everyone knows is important to a healthy body. Take the extra steps and install a whole home water filtration system. Take out the impurities and contaminants for the best you! Your plumber can go through the options and install one for you with minimal effort on your part and you’ll be starting out the year healthier.. one glass at a time!
As the focus is on self improvement the first couple of months of the year, don’t forget about the musts involved in home improvement. To help you with your Home Resolutions, contact Casteel today and schedule your in home inspections!